Monday, June 11, 2012

The Story of the Rose Topiary *Out for Publication*

It started with a vision...A pretty paper rose topiary to complete a little vignette in my dining room. I've had this vintage McCoy pot forever, just sitting in a closet. In my mind this pot, another vintage pot and adorable froggie planter (a gift from a dear friend) would be perfect on my sideboard.


Doesn't it look pretty!
(minus the crooked switchplate cover...men!)

The topiary started innocently enough :) I purchased the Flower Shoppe Cricut cartridge and after making a few samples I started by pulling out pink paper from my stash, figuring it would take about 35 to 40 roses. I could get 4 roses from a 12x12 piece of paper cutting them at 5 inches. The cutting went smoothly and soon they were ready to ink and shape.

First I inked the edges of the darker pink with white chalk ink and the lighter ones with pink chalk ink. Then  sprayed them with a fine mist of water and rolled each petal around a paintbrush handle to shape them. Finally I rolled them with a quilling tool and hot glued them together. Some I rolled tightly and others more loosely, so they would look more natural. The leaves were cut with Core'dinations paper, using a dry embossing tool to make the veins and then sanding them.


The first 36 were done! As I was hot gluing them onto the styrofoam ball, I realized quickly that 36 wasn't even close to being enough. So I cut another 30. Then inked, shaped, rolled, and glued them. This kept me busy through my Dad's surgery and all the next day. Then I glued this batch on...and guess what...I needed more!!! 

This led to a frantic search for more pink paper in the right colors! No one nearby had pink paper in smooth texture so I ended up cutting them upside down to make them match :) 24 more roses and 3 days later...for a total of 90 roses, It was done! A fine spray of white/iridescent Smooch ink was the perfect finishing touch.


If I can get my daughter to help me I might just attempt a tutorial later this week!







4 comments:

VanEvera Family Blog said...

Wow! The topiary is beautiful! I don't think I would have had the patience. *Margie - club CK

csewy-csescrap13 said...

It is gorgeous!! This would be very pretty for a wedding or shower, but not unless someone had a lot of time and patience! Your topiary definitely completes your vintage area!

LOL on the crooked switchplate cover, too funny! I'm glad that I'm not the only one that notices strange things like that....DH thinks I'm too picky! I hope your dad surgery went well.

Ashley Horton said...

Beth, that Topiary is completely stunning!!! And WOW, the amount of work you put into it!! But it definitely paid off...it is really gorgeous!

BabyBokChoy said...

Make that two, two "out for pub" signs!!! It's SO gorgeous!